I'll find you in the bright colours and quite places, always remembered beautiful Elizabeth - Auntie K

Thursday, January 20

New Ears Too

As you may have gathered, I do love my music.
With this grief, I find I have new filters in which to hear all these songs.
Some of these songs are just beautiful sounding, but recently this new light is on the words.

The song in question is one that I have mentioned before, one that never fails to bring the tears to the surface; an old tried and tested one, so to speak.  Well, as I was sat on a fairly packed train headed into the city yesterday this song made an appearance and I was fully prepared to find the player and quickly fast forward...

What is the use of fighting this emotion I thought?  I listened to it with these new ears that know bereavement; the hurt, the pain, the unanswered questions, the what-ifs, the lack of understanding, the isolation, desperation, wanting, longing, the utter unfairness of it all...

I listened, I closed my eyes and honed in on the words and they took my breath away. I pictured myself sat on that train and surrounded myself with all the familiar 'voices' I know in this new life and knew deep down that I am far from alone and I do take comfort from all my new friends I have found here - so there we all were, sat hand in hand on the train with me, all heading to who knows where, but far from alone.

This song doesn't just understand bereavement, it is a shining light of hope too - not that everything is going to be alright fanciful crap, but the hope that you can and will get a life back on track - "hold on".  I guess I'm trying to say a huge thank you to those who mean the most to me, who walk with me along this dark and windy path; you know who you are.




Everybody Hurts - R.E.M
When your day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on
Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries n everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it's time to sing along
When your day is night alone, (hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
If you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on

'Cause everybody hurts. Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life, the days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on

Well, everybody hurts sometimes,
Everybody cries. And everybody hurts sometimes
And everybody hurts sometimes. So, hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on
Everybody hurts. You are not alone


2 comments:

  1. I really had never realized how much it says.. almost magical that it came at just the right moment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this song a thousand times and never really paid any attention to the words. I'm glad you shared it and I too am glad that I am not truly alone in this path. I remember being on that train yesterday! All my love!

    ReplyDelete