I'll find you in the bright colours and quite places, always remembered beautiful Elizabeth - Auntie K

Friday, December 24

Stop All The Clocks

Let others celebrate Christmas this year; to me its just another day to struggle through.
There is no tinsel hanging, nor ball balls or a fine great tree with fairy lights.
There is no merriment, or festive cheer in this house ~ my daughter is dead.

It is so very hard to feel contentment when there is always the feeling of being wronged, someone so beloved always missing and a longing that is as primal as fear.

This sums up my feelings today:

Stop All The Clocks ~ W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

4 comments:

  1. I may just steal that poem. It is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. I wish I were staying at home too. Rest assured I will be thinking of all my fellow baby loss mommas when everyone else is tearing open gifts and embracing the joy of the season. Sending love to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poem gets me every time. And might I say tonight, for the first time, I noticed just how much precious Elizabeth looks like you. She's so beautiful and I remain dumbfounded that she's not here for her first Christmas.
    Oh Tess, I'm so sorry. I have a good idea of how awful this Christmas will be for you. It reeks of my Christmas in 2008.
    Much love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sally, I think you've made my day with your comment about Elizabeth! I see my beautiful daughter with this mother's love, it is lovely to hear that from someone else - Thank you

    I hope you are finding this 'festive season' bearable this year, I know there is a big sister missing from your family and I hold Hope Angel in my heart. Much love to you Sally and to you Missy, I wish we all have easy days ahead - heres hoping eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tess this poem is so fitting.. thank you so much for sharing this. My heart aces my friend.... I wish we were glowing with joy and merriment, dressing our children for their 'first'.
    I am so pained and sorry that it is all such a horrible awful nightmare... one that we re-live every day since August 22 and September 11.
    Love you my friend....

    ReplyDelete